What is Back Pain?
Back pain is the most common pain condition in our society. About 80% of adults have experienced it at some point in their life. An injury from a car accident, sports-related trauma or lifting may initiate back pain. Daily bad posture and body mechanics can do the same, as can a poor level of fitness. This leads to weakness and dysfunction of the supporting muscles, ligaments and joints. Instability develops, making the spine less able to withstand the stress of daily activities. This can also lead to degeneration of the spinal discs and compression of the existing nerves.
If left untreated, the condition progressively gets worse over time leading to spinal degeneration. Bulging discs, spinal arthritis and spinal stenosis can develop leading to chronic pain, weakness and numbness. The result is limited function and a significant decrease in the quality of life.
Common Back Pain Conditions We Treat
- Muscle and Ligament Sprain
- Muscle Imbalance
- Disc Tear and Disc Herniation
- Spinal stenosis
- Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Pain
- Post Laminectomy Syndrome/ Failed Back
Symptoms and Diagnosis
Back pain symptoms can be acute or chronic and can range from an uncomfortable ache to pain that is disabling. The pain can be present in the spine and pelvis or it can radiate to the legs and feet (aka sciatica). Often, pain is accompanied by weakness and numbness in the hips and legs. Symptoms can worsen with prolonged sitting or standing, or can get worse with activities such as walking or lifting.
The diagnosis of back pain requires a good history that identifies all the contributing factors and a thorough physical exam. Often, imaging studies such as MRI and X-rays and at times nerve studies (EMGs) are used to help make the diagnosis. Most of the time, back pain can be treated without surgery through an integrated approach of rehabilitation, regenerative medicine, energy modalities and lifestyle changes.
Schedule a Consult with an Estero Back Pain Specialist Today!
Treatment of Back Pain in Estero, Florida
Our Integrative Advantage is the most comprehensive treatment strategy for back pain in Southwest Florida. We combine multiple modalities that address all the contributing factors to provide the best results:
- Physical Therapy (such as Pilates and other) to strengthen and re-educate the muscles and nervous system
- Regenerative Medicine Injections such as Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Prolotherapy are used to decrease pain, stimulate healing of the spinal structures and to provide spinal stability
- An Anti-inflammatory Diet and nutritional supplement are used to decrease pain and support the healing process
- Acupuncture can be used to rebalance the body
- Energy Modalities such as low level laser and PEMF to further decrease symptoms and support the healing process