What is Stem Cell Therapy?
Stem cell preparations can be an excellent non-surgical treatment option for painful arthritis, torn tendons, sprained ligaments and other musculoskeletal conditions. Conditions such as knee arthritis, meniscus injuries, rotator cuff tears and many more can benefit from stem cells therapy. Dr. Sebastian is a Regenerative Medicine specialist offering bone marrow stem cells in the Estero, Fort Myers and Bonita Springs area.
Stem cells are the “master orchestrators” of healing and regeneration. They have the potential to become specialized cells that heal tissues such as cartilage, tendons, bones and nerves. Stem cells are found throughout the body, but once an injury occurs, they travel to the injured area, multiply and start the regenerative process.
Can Stem Cell Therapy in Estero Help You?
About Bone Marrow Stem Cells
Through the release of molecules and growth factors, stem cells regulate the local immune response, decrease inflammation and stimulate tissue growth. They also support the health of the surrounding cells and stimulate immature cells to become specialized as well.
Adult Stem Cells for regenerative medicine are best obtained from the bone marrow of the rear pelvic bone. In this area, the bone marrow is safely accessible and is known to be the best reservoir of mesenchymal stem cells within the body. Bone marrow stem cells are real living cells that are derived from the self, unlike many other “fake” stem cell products. Because they come from your own body, the risk of transmittable disease or tissue rejection is unlikely as compared to cells obtained from someone else (such as cord blood or other).
The Integrative Rehab Medicine Approach
We use concentrated bone marrow from the patient’s own pelvic bone. Bone Marrow Concentrate is a soup of stem cells, platelets, plasma and other growth factors that are all involved in healing. Once the Bone Marrow Concentrate is injected, stem cells quickly attach to the injury area and start their work. Healing will continue for months after the injection but often the patient’s symptoms and function improves relatively quickly. This is likely due to the regulation of the immune response and inflammation by the cells and growth factors. Human and animal research on Bone Marrow Concentrate has shown that sometimes cartilage can regenerate but in severe cases sometimes it does not. Even in these severe cases, patients often gain significant reduction of symptoms and improvement in function, likely through the immune regulatory mechanisms that stabilize the internal joint environment.
Preparing for Your Stem Cell Therapy in Estero, Florida
It is vital to prepare yourself for a healing journey prior to your Bone Marrow Stem Cells procedure. Successful stem cells treatment for arthritis, tendon tears and other conditions depends on your general health and the health of your joints.
- A well balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables and high quality proteins can prepare your body for healing.
- Certain nutritional supplements (such as Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Resveratrol and others) prior to and after the procedure can support stem activity and tissue healing.
- Joint strength and stability can be maximized through specific physical therapy and prolotherapy injections prior to and after the stem cell procedure.
- Prolotherapy utilizes injections of dextrose into the surrounding ligaments, tendons and joint capsules with a goal to increase their strength and stability.
- Physical therapy will provide the patient with proper exercise to strengthen the joint along with joint protection techniques to be used after the procedure.